About The Mansion Diner
How it started
The Mansion Restaurant has been owned and operated by the Philips family since 1945. Its founder, John Philips, was a Depression-era immigrant from a small village in Cyprus. Shortly after his arrival through Ellis Island, he found his first opportunity to build a new life as a restaurant worker. Just a few years later, John opened his own restaurant near Gracie Mansion, the mayor’s residence on Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
Serving our community
The Mansion quickly became a favorite neighborhood eating spot for families, singles, students, taxi drivers, and casual walk-ins. The restaurant began to gain a reputation for being a “home away from home,” serving the community from early morning until late at night, providing home-cooked meals at affordable prices.
Mayor of 86th Street
In the early 1970s, Philip Philips joined his father, John. Born and raised on 86th street, Phil was so familiar with the life of his neighbors, their children, in-laws, and dogs that he has been referred to as the “Mayor of 86th Street.”
Sourcing & ingredients
Although the neighborhood has changed over the years, The Mansion has been a constant neighborhood presence. Providing “ingredient-driven, everyday foods,” The Mansion has strived to meet the needs of customers by offering classic dishes with quality ingredients. With fresh, homemade products, The Mansion puts its signature on each and every dish with a tradition of excellence, quality, and care.
From generation to generation
In 2006, Philip’s son, John G. Philips became the third generation to manage the business. After a year long renovation, The Mansion reopened its doors, featuring a modified menu that still preserved the quality and authenticity of the restaurant’s beginnings.
A Manhattan Legacy
Serving our neighborhood breakfast, lunch, and dinner since 1945.